Sunday, September 7, 2008

Granola

I am a HUGE fan of granola. It is so yummy and nutritious. I don't even feel guilty eating it! I was excited to try this recipe Misty sent. It did not disappoint. It is SOOO nutty and delicious! LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I can't wait to make it again!

You will need:
5-6 cups of oats (regular not quick)
1 cup of wheat germ
1 cup of raw sunflower seeds (I actually found some honey roasted sunflower
seeds at Sprouts - they are yummy)
1 cup of sliced almonds
3/4 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup sesame seeds or flaxseed (I used a mixture of the two)
1 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
dried fruit (optional)(you can get dried blueberries from Costco that are so yummy - I also like the dried cranberries).

1. Put oats on cookie sheet and put in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes,
stirring every 5 minutes.

2. Combine wheat germ, sunflower seeds, nuts, sesame or flaxseed, and salt
in a bowl. Add oats when they are done and mix well.

3. In a saucepan, combine molasses, honey, butter and oil. Bring to a boil,
take off heat and add vanilla.

4. Pour over other ingredients and mix well making sure to get a good
coating on everything. Then spread over 2 cookie sheets and place in the
300 degree oven for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Pull out and
cool, then add dried fruit.

I eat it by the handful or as cereal. It is really good

No comments: